Reports to: Employment Program Coordinator
Team: Immigration and Refugee Program / Lancaster Office
Location: Lancaster, PA
Starting salary: $20,872.50 working 30 hours/week
Status: Non-Exempt, Non-Bargaining Unit
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Please visit the link below to apply directly online to this position.
Please note that CWS does not accept resumes for positions that are not posted. All applicants are required to submit their resume using the on-line applicant tracking system.
CWS uses Applicant Stack for all communications, please be sure to check your e-mail frequently and please check your junk/spam folder. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, only those individuals shortlisted will be contacted.
The C/H Vocational Education Facilitator is responsible for providing outreach, vocational training, and case management to the Cuban and Haitian communities for the Work Preparation – ESL Project as part of the CWS/Lancaster Employment Program. This position will promote the program among Cuban and Haitian Entrants and refugees and identify eligible clients for placement in the program as well as provide on-going vocational training, case management, and some job development services for clients.
- Conducts outreach to identify and locate eligible clients through contacts with other CWS (in-house) programs, the Department of Public Assistance, mutual assistance associations, ethnic religious organizations, ethnic community media, and other social service agencies.
- Determines clients’ eligibility, specific needs and qualifications for the Work Prep ESL (WP-ESL) program, including English language ability, job skills and aspirations, personal objectives, and barriers to vocational trainings, certifications, and employment through intake and assessment process.
- Facilitates and/or conducts vocational trainings and certifications, online job-readiness trainings, interview preparation classes, worksite tours and employer presentations for eligible clients.
- Conducts outreach to area employers to educate them about CWS employment services and to identify appropriate job vacancies for clients.
- Records client progress in case file, including compliance, services provided, enrollments and placements, as well as vocational trainings, certifications, classes, tours or presentations attended, maintaining accurate statistics for reporting purposes.
- Works closely with CWS Resettlement and Employment Programs, as well as local job and skills training providers to receive and make appropriate referrals.
- Works closely with vocational trainers and presenters to verify attendance and progress of clients in vocational trainings, certifications, classes, tours, etc.
- Meets with enrolled clients regularly throughout 6- week vocational training and certification sessions to assist with any barriers, track progress, and work on goals after completion.
- Assists client after completion of vocational trainings and certifications with referrals to Employment Program, appropriate employers, or further education or training.
- Tracks clients success after completion of trainings and certifications re: job placement, acceptance into new job training
- Identifies other support services, such as transportation, immigration services, and child care, and makes appropriate referrals.
- Assists the Employment Program Coordinator in preparing reports as requested.
- Participates in on-site monitoring visits with the Employment Program Coordinator.
- Advocates on behalf of refugees, and refugee-serving voluntary agencies.
- Keeps informed about refugee and immigrant issues, and available services to refugees and Cuban/Haitian Entrants, using current information to better identify and serve refugee clients.
- Represents the program at meetings and speaking engagements relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned.
- Performs all duties in culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
Education: B.A. or 2 -years experience in related field.
Experience: Previous work experience and interest in refugee resettlement or other direct social services is desired. Ability to provide culturally-sensitive counseling and case management is required. Experience working with churches or church-based organizations is preferred. A background in case management or social work is desirable.
Other Skills: Fluency in Spanish is required, along with strong verbal and written English communication skills. The successful candidate must be computer literate, with proficiency in MS Office (Excel and Word) and internet applications.
Back to Employment Listings